Sunday, January 4, 2015

Tempus Fugit

And before you know it, six months have flown by.
Whew.
It's been quite a time.

My father passed away the morning after having celebrated fifty-eight years of marriage with my mother,
my daughter and me.
Talking on the phone with a friend, ballgame on in the background
one second he was here; the next, gone.
His best friend had passed a month earlier,
and a dear niece two weeks after that
all of it much too much for his old heart to take.

Thank God his suffering is over.
Thank God he didn't have to languish in a hospital bed.
Thank God my mother was with him,
and knew to get our neighbor.
Thank God.

And now I sit and look at our pretty little Christmas tree and realize this:
Next year we three may just be in three different places for Christmas.
So we've divided up the ornaments, and packaged them for travel
so each of us can have Christmas with us wherever we may be.
And with a promise to be together when possible.

Bring it on, 2015!
I'm ready.


No comments:

Post a Comment